SYNOPSIS OF HISTORY OF MSPCA
1958-1968: THE FORMATIVE YEARS
- 25 th October, 1958:
Dr S. Ramgoolam (as he was then known) wrote a personal letter to over 20 Mauritian and British nationals who were favourably inclined towards the foundation of an animal welfare society in association with the RSPCA London. A meeting was consequently held on Friday 21 st November 1958 at Park Hotel, Curepipe, whereby the draft constitution of the MSPCA was discussed and approved.
- 23 rd March, 1959:
The RSPCA, then at 105, Jermyn Street, London, S.W.I forwarded to the MSPCA a certificate of association.
- 27 th April 1959:
First executive committee meeting of the MSPCA held at the Governor’s residence in Le Reduit. The meeting was presided by H.E. Sir Robert Scott, KCMG, Governor of Mauritius and first patron of MSPCA. Establishment of a two-roomed dispensary veterinary service at St Ignace Street, Rose Hill.
- 3 rd January 1961:
RSPCA donated a van to the MSPCA to be used as a mobile clinic to reach villages for small animal vaccinations and minor treatments.
- November 1966:
The Honorary Secretary of the MSPCA, Dr J.D SHUJA OBE MRCUS received from the RSPCA a legacy of this Mary Masters of Gloucester to the tune of £7000/-. With the assistance and help of the late Sir A.R MOHAMED, then Minister of Housing, Land Town and Country Planning, a plot of land on the outskirts of Rose Hill close to Robertson Bridge was leased to the Society and thus starting the project for building up the Society’s Headquarters and Animal hospital.
Formation of an Animal Inspectorate to ensure law enforcement, investigation of alleged cruelty cases, dog registration, veterinary first aid, rescue work, transportation of animals, offering of live animals for sale, animal sporting activities and various other kindred duties.
- November 1968:
Official inauguration of the Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Animal Hospital and MSPCA Headquarters. The Small animal hospital was the first of its kind in the Indian Ocean. Fully equipped for outpatient and inpatient work, the surgery unit was up to date as regards to volatile anaesthetic equipment, surgical instrumentation for dental, soft tissue and orthopaedic surgery, laboratory facilities for microscopy, haematology parasitology and urinalysis. A mobile radiology unit suitable for small animal diagnostic work was also operative. The inpatient wards had facilities for caging 14 cats and kennelling 13 dogs.